Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Monitoring my GAME Plan Process

 As I embark upon the third week of implementing my self-directed learning plan, I want to also focus on the third step of the GAME plan process.  The “M” in this process stands for Monitoring – in terms of looking at the actions we chosen to help us meet our goals.  In my last post, I mentioned some of the tools and strategies I planned on utilizing to address two specific goals.  My first goal (Standard 3) is to better exhibit the knowledge, skills, and work processes of someone in a digital society (International Society for Technology in Education [ITSE], 2008).  My second goal (Standard 5) is to improve my practice by engaging in professional growth and leadership opportunities (ITSE, 2008).

In working towards Standard 3, I have sought out resources that will provide me with better knowledge of the tech tools that I already have in my classroom, as well as those I would like to introduce.  This week, I created a spreadsheet that allows me to track the tools and resources that I locate.  This spreadsheet allows me to list the resources I find (iPad app, website, etc.) and where I located the resource (from a colleague, professional blog, etc.).  Once I am able to test out or utilize the resource for myself or with my students, there is an area to type in a brief description of how I can use the tool in my classroom, and if it will support the learning goals that I have set forth.  I also plan to ask questions from a TechPudding blog post (techpudding.com) where I found a checklist for evaluating tech tools, apps, hardware, and software.  I love that their checklist also includes asking oneself if the tool in question follows the principles of UDL (the Universal Design for Learning)!  Price, usability, and accessibility are also key factors to consider when looking at resources for my students with special needs.  In addition to creating my tech checklist, I have been able to explore a few resources this week during the “tech time” I set aside at the end of one school day per week.  After an observation this week by my supervisor, she gave me the name of a virtual learning environment site/software called Moodle, and asked that I check it out.  She asked for my feedback on future use of this tool for our county-run programs for students with autism and multiple disabilities.  I felt so empowered and honored that she wanted my opinion, and excited to be given a tech tool to add to my spreadsheet.  I was also able to look into Google Drive, which was recommended to me by a member of our Walden cohort, as a way to store, access, and share documents.  These resources were just a few of the tech tools that I was presented with this week.  I also found numerous ideas and tools via the tech blogs that I follow.  When monitoring this goal for myself, I was able to look at my spreadsheet and say, “yes, I am finding the resources I need”… and more!  I don’t feel that this area of my plan needs to be modified just yet, but I do think that I need to start jotting down technology questions/concerns that I have in order to narrow the scope of the resources that I am in search of.  Finding tools to help with my immediate needs, as well as those of my students, should be at the forefront of my research.  With this in mind, I have added a column to my spreadsheet where I can list exactly what tools I am looking for on a daily/weekly basis.

Standard 5 focuses on my goal of engaging in more professional growth and collaboration opportunities – particularly those that relate directly integrating technology in the classroom.  At our weekly special education meeting, I asked if it was possible that each week we all bring one tech tool or site to share with the group.  I also suggested using Google Docs to create a spreadsheet where we could all share and add new resources throughout the school year.  My colleagues agreed that this would be a simple, yet helpful way to share with one another.  I am hoping that I can also get our technology teacher onboard with adding resources to our Google Doc.  I was also excited this week, following my aforementioned observation, to be able to again discuss being given the time to talk about technology with my program colleagues at our quarterly teacher meetings.  With all of our classrooms having iPads, SMART Boards, and newly subscribed-to curriculum resources (like the web-based Reading and Science A to Z), I would love this opportunity!  Our next meeting is in January, so I would have plenty of time to sort through and decide on the resources that work best for our classrooms for students with multiple disabilities. 

After just a few short weeks, I feel like I am on the right path to meeting my goals.  I feel like I have been able to find many beneficial and applicable resources from talking to colleagues, as well as by doing my own web research.  Having an organized way to monitor and evaluate the tools I find will help me to hone in on what will truly be the best tools for my students with special needs.  I hope to look into more ways in which I can participate in global discussion with educators about technology, in venues outside of what I am used to.  Every day, I find that I am faced with new questions about how technology can improve teaching and learning in my school and classroom.   I have also learned that although technology is all around us, finding exactly what is required to meet our technology needs can sometimes be a challenge.  By searching in a more organized and thought-out way, as well as staying in consistent, technology-driven dialogue with other professionals, I hope to continue on my path toward life-long, self-directed learning. 

Monitoring my goals involves reflecting upon the strategies I have chosen to meet these goals (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009).  Any thoughts on ways I could improve upon this process would be much appreciated. 


References
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers



2 comments:

  1. Rachel -

    That is so awesome that you were asked to check out Moodle by your supervisor. You are definitely making headway in your goal. There is something empowering, you are right, about having others, especially those in authority, value what we think and want our input.

    You have also taken it a step further with your special education group. Great idea to share the document through GoogleDocs. We are just starting to use GoogleDocs in my high school, and will be receiving some training very soon. I am anxious to learn more about GoogleDrive.

    I really like the systematic way you have gone about analyzing the technology at your disposal and how it will work for you and your students. I am not surprised by your approach, because you are so organized! :-) What a great resource you will have created for yourself when you are through with this course.

    Perhaps one way you can reflect on the strategies you have chosen would be in the form of a blog. Your area of expertise, special education, would be of great interest to other special education teachers, as well as general ed teachers. You have a way of communicating that would allow others to learn from you and give you feedback at the same time.

    Thanks for sharing your ideas, as always! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas Mary! I agree that sharing my thoughts through blogging would be a great way to collaborate, as well as find a source of support from other educators. I am not sure if I want to add this information to my current Walden blog, or set up a new one. Either way, I think it would be extremely beneficial! Let me know what you think about Google Drive when you try it, and I will do the same.

      Thanks!
      -Rachel

      Delete