Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Developing My Personal GAME Plan


Self-directed learning provides teachers with the opportunity to grow both professionally and professionally.  We are often engaging in this type of learning without even realizing it – through the creation and teaching of our lesson plans, to the monitoring of ourselves and our students throughout the process (Laureate Education Inc., 2010b).  In order to continuously improve our practice, as well as provide students with new and innovative ways to use technology, teachers must always have goals in mind for taking learning to the next level.   A process like the GAME plan (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009) holds teachers accountable for setting these goals and following them through to success.

The International Society for Technology in Education, ISTE, (2008) has created NETS, or standards, for teachers in order to evaluate the “skills and knowledge educators need to teach, work, and learn in an increasingly connected global and digital society”.  When looking at the five standards listed, along with their objectives, it is clear that I am more familiar and comfortable with some me than I am with others.  Being able to integrate technology in the classroom requires confidence (Laureate Education Inc., 2010a), which gives me the motivation to set goals for working on the NETS that may not currently be my areas of strength.

The first standard that I would like to focus on is standard three – modeling digital-age work and learning.  Before I entered into my graduate program, I used typical technology integration strategies in my classroom.  The SMART Board, Google, and iPad apps were utilized on a daily basis, with activities modified to meet the needs of my students with special needs.  I did not have my own blog or my own classroom website, and most of the activities and interactive books I used on the SMART Board were pre-made.  When I look at how far I have come in the last year, I am proud of my accomplishments, but see that there is much more progress to be made.  My goal for this NET is to work on finding one new “tech tool”, program, or website a week that I can become familiar with and use to enhance instruction and transfer knowledge.  I will set aside time after school or at home, two to three times each week (even if it is only a few minutes) in order to familiarize myself with the new technology.  I will then log the name of the technology, as well as the pros, cons, etc. for using it with my students.  This log will help me to monitor my progress, as well as document the steps I have taken along the way.  I can then choose a time frame (one month, one quarter, etc.) at the end of which I will go back and see which of these tools I have used in the classroom, which ones I haven’t, and which ones I need to learn more about.  I can also share my findings through my professional blog or with colleagues.  I can even work to collaborate globally with special educators to support the research and learning of tools for students with special needs.

The second standard I would like to focus on is engaging in professional growth and leadership.  Because I am the only teacher in my building that teaches a classroom for students with multiple disabilities, it can often be a challenge to collaborate on a meaningful level.  During weekly grade level and content area meetings, I often feel I have very little to contribute to the conversation.  When I do meet with other MD teachers (4 times a year through our county-run program), there is often not enough time to discuss technology during our meetings.  Because of my Walden experience, I feel I am able to satisfy much of my desire to collaborate and communicate in regards technology.  However, I am worried that when I complete my program, I will no longer have the discussions that I currently am able to engage in on a daily basis with my Walden cohort.  This is why this particular NET means so much to me.  I want to be able to step up and become a leader amongst teachers in my building, as well those who teach in similar settings.  I also want to expand my learning community and make it a global one.

In working on this NET, using the GAME plan will set me on the right path – ensuring that I follow through on my goal and hold myself accountable along the way.  My goals are to be able to share and model new technologies (that I have researched and used in my own classroom) with others in my program.  I would like to be able to share and receive feedback from my colleagues, while being self-directed in my search to find technologies that will benefit our students with significant special needs.  Now that all of our classrooms have SMART Boards and iPads, the tools are in place for us all to utilize technology to the fullest extent possible.  I am able to take action right away by contacting my supervisor in order to make sure that I will have time at our next meeting to discuss technology.  I will email fellow colleagues to find out their technology needs/challenges/questions, etc., so that I can work on an agenda to tackle in preparation for our next meeting.  The way I will monitor myself in working on this goal will be to make a list of all content areas (since we all teach every subject) and teacher concerns, and work to locate technology tools that can meet these needs, as well as tools that can be used for all grade levels (we serve students in grades K-12+).  Once I have located resources and solutions to teacher technology issues, I will utilize these tools in my own classroom.  Being able to navigate through the resources will allow me to evaluate what I have found and extend the learning to my colleagues at our next meeting.  Being able to give technology input at each of our meetings will force me to stay accountable to learning and experimenting with new tools that can benefit my colleagues and I.  The cycle can continue through each school year, as new technologies emerge, and new questions/concerns arise.

I am hoping that through the use of the GAME plan, I will be able to strengthen and become more proficient in these technology standards.  I would appreciate any input, ideas, or resources you may have in order to help me do so. 

Cennamo et al. (2009) offer this perspective:
“As we lead the way and break new ground in the world of technology integration, self-directed learning will be essential.  You and your peers have the opportunity to be leaders in these efforts!” (p.19)



 
References
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers


Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010a). Enriching content area learning:  Part one. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010b). Promoting self-directed learning with technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.




8 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to the feeling of meeting with other regular education teachers and having little if any input in the conversation. I do teach one ELA resource class with 8 students. None of the students have ever passed the state-mandated writing test, only a few have passed the reading portion of our state test and one or two have passed the MODIFIED version of the ELA state test. When I bring up my students and where they are currently at, they are literally light years behind the mainstream and co-taught ELA classes. I have had remarks such as, " you mean you haven't even made it through The Outsiders book yet?" Well, no, I have not. These kids read anywhere from a 1st grade level to one student that reads on a 7th grade level. I feel as if they (the ELA teachers) just "don't get it." Regardless, we as teachers are still responsibility for educating ourselves on technology and software that might be in the best interest for OUR learners. I have found that I MUST deviate from what the other ELA teachers are doing simply because my focus is on where my kids currently are and what levels I can help them achieve- which in all likelihood will not be to the level of the typical co-taught classroom.
    I feel as if your GAME plan for Standard 3 are excellent strategies to fulfill your goal and establish ways for YOUR students to enhance and engage in their own learning through whatever technology and/or software you found to have more pros than cons. Not every piece of technology and software is usable or applicable for your students. You are going about Standard 3 pretty much the same way as I am. Spending some time outside of work each week, researching various technology possibilities for your students' learning. You are looking for the "best bang for your buck" as I am also.
    I commend you for wanting to be a leader regarding sharing and modeling various technology and software components and how the usage of such devices can be an enhancer and a way to connect the students with authentic learning.
    One question for you.... I read that you teach every subject (Bless you). What age group do you teach math? Do you have any recommendations for valuable 8th grade math websites or activities/lessons that utilize technology to some capacity for real-world problems? I do not necessarily expect you to; however, if you do would you please share with me.
    Secondly, what age group do you teach for ELA? If it is 7th or 8th grade have you come across any type of websites or technology based writing for practice? We recently did subscribe to this software called Write to Learn; although, 13 weeks into school and no one has given us the training we need in order to learn for ourselves how the program works and be able to model and guide my ELA resource class on how to use the program. This has been a true frustration for me. All of the money the school has spent on the program but we have not been able to use it as of yet. My kids need all of the practice they can get. The state writing test is in late January.... not a lot of time between now and then, huh? :0(
    It is inspiring to read your blog and the posts from times past. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      It's always a pleasure to hear your positive comments and feedback! It makes my day :)

      In response to your questions, I teach 6-8 math, as well as 6-8 ELA. Ohio has recently adopted the Common Core standards, as well as extended standards for students for students with more involved needs. Our standards are also banded, so I use the 6-8 grade bands for each subject. I can imagine the challenges you face preparing students for the state tests! Because my students cannot participate in the general ed. curriculum without significant supports, they do not participate in standardized testing. I administer alternate assessments, which for Ohio, have just been re-vamped and are totally new starting this year (ahh!).

      As far as math resources go, I use the TouchMath curriculum to teach functional (money, time, etc) math skills to my students. The curriculum has CD's and DVD's that are great for use on both the computer and the SMARTBoard. Our district also just recently purchased IXL math, which can be accessed via their website (www.ixl.com). There are many free resources on the site and my students love it! I also use many apps on our classroom iPad to help students with time-telling and money. If you go to the App Store and search for either, there are tons of apps available (and many free!). For ELA, we also have Write to Learn. It is brand new for us this year, so we have just begun using it. Since many of my students do not write in the tradition sense of the word, I use Boardmaker and Writing with Symbols software in order to create visual supports for their ideas. Unfortunately, there are not many writing resources that I have found useful for my students. I would check out some special ed. blogs and you may be able to find some great ideas/resources for your students. I understand your frustration though - what good is something if we can't use it!?

      Best of luck, and if I ever stumble upon a resource that may work for you I will definitely share it!
      -Rachel

      Delete
    2. That is truly awesome Rachel. Thank you VERY, VERY much for all of the resource ideas and various apps and website to look into.
      This ELA resource class I teach will have all of the students within it taking the modified version of the ELA portion of the state-mandated test. However, and I am sure you will roll your eyes in dismay over this one. These students have varying reading abilities along with read comprehension struggles. Roughly 5 out of the 8 read on a 1st to 3rd grade level. ONe does read on a 7th grade level and the other two are around a 5th grade level. For the state-mandated portion of the reading test, there is not a modified version whatsoever. Nor, can we amend their IEPs to state reasons as to why they need the passages read aloud. These students are expected to read the 8th grade level passages on their own; all I can do is read the question and the 4 possible choices to these students. I'm giving you a bit more info NOW- at the high school level, the SPED teacher is allowed to read the passages to those students that have this accommodation in his/her IEP. Where is the logic behind this insane B _??? I could not believe the first time I heard about this "rule". I still get perturbed over this bologna. Kids reading on a first through third grade level, some of those can not even recognize or spell BASIC sight words but they must read these long passages that are far beyond their capacity. AM I suppose to perform a miracle before these test are taken at the end of March?
      I appreciate you reading everything I type out. I do not feel like I say many things of significance; however, I will voice my opinion when it needs to be. I guess that is why I find myself getting into a little bit of trouble every once in a while, but that is just me and I feel these students are already being set up for failure!

      Thanks again Rachel. You are a great support system and I take everything I read by you as worthy information.
      God Bless, it does take special people to do what you do for your kids! :0)

      Delete
  2. Rachel-

    Absolutely LOVE your idea of finding a "tech tool" once a week. I love the tools that Dr. L posts in our discussion board each week. These are extremely helpful AND cool!! I think connecting with other teachers who use these tools is important too. Blogging about it and reaching out to others can really help your professional development. This is something I would love to do as well and for me, when I set a goal (i.e. once a week) to do it, I will get it done! Do you have a particular time/day that you will schedule this?

    For your other strategy, if you can discuss technology and effective strategies with your colleagues, everyone wins! You have such great knowledge to share and given that opportunity to share it will be a great learning experience for everyone. In fact, this strategy will help keep you in line with your first goal!

    Share, share, share! You have some REALLY great ideas/goals!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive comments Emily! In regards to my time frame for looking at tech resources, I am thinking once a week right after school. If I set my phone alarm to go off once a week at 2:30, I can check it out right then and there! In her response to my post, Mary suggested creating a spreadsheet with all the "tech tools" that Dr. LeBeau shares with us each day. I think that's an awesome idea! The list would be a great place to start, and would probably take at least a month to go through. I may ask Mary to send me a copy if she makes this document! :)

      -Rachel

      Delete
  3. Rachel -- I, too, love the idea of your finding new 'tech tools' in a systematic way. Before our coursework with Dr. L. is over, I want to make a spreadsheet of all her daily technology tips. Though I don't always have time to check each one out, I want to do so, once life slows down a little.

    I like your idea of keeping a log to monitor which ones you've used, which you still want to use, which you want to learn more about. Great idea. I can see just keeping it right on my computer for easy access and quick notes.

    I think your second is a natural and very beneficial goal for you. We have learned so much, and why not try to share your knowledge with colleagues, especially in the face of budget cuts and limited funding. I think much of what we do as far as improving our staffs will need to come from within, from people like you and me. We will have the tools, and now we need to take on the responsibility of sharing that knowledge to the extent that it is possible. I wish we could have a window into the future, to see where we all land after this master's work is completed. Thanks for your welcome insights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      Your idea of making a spreadsheet with all Dr. L's "tech tools" is an awesome idea! It would be a perfect checklist to take us through great resources in a systematic way. Definitely a good start to my meeting of this goal! You could list the resource, what it is, and leave blank space for comments once you have checked the site out. If you make this spreadsheet, I would LOVE a copy! I'm sure our cohort would agree - you might even be able to add it to our Doc Sharing!

      Thanks for the positive feedback!
      -Rachel :)

      Delete
  4. I never really stopped to think of all the professional development opportunities I have every year. On top of all the half day PDs and summer seminars, I search the internet to find new and interesting ideas all the time. This is a natural process, especially as a teacher, because your profession is learning. It is a process that benefits both the students and the individual. The process is natural to a curious mind. The key is getting the curious side of students to come out by promoting a personal investment in what is being learned. A teacher’s personal investment is the fact that learning is their passion; that is why they chose to peruse the profession. As long as that drive to learn is there, it is a teacher’s instinct, even when the grad school discussion boards come to an end, to learn as much as they can to better their teaching so students can succeed.

    ReplyDelete