Thursday, May 31, 2012

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice


This week, we discussed the social learning theories that exist, as well as best practice strategies that are in support of these learning theories.  I found these theories to be especially relevant to not only my own classroom, but to the use of current technology for social networking.   The focal point of social learning theories is that students are actively engaged in constructing knowledge and sharing their knowledge with others (Laureate Education Inc., 2011a).

Cooperative learning is a strategy that focuses on having students interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).  What connects this strategy to social learning is the fact that students are making meaning through interactions with group members.  When students are working collaboratively with their peers, learning can be so much more meaningful.

Cooperative learning also relates directly to many of the technology resources we use both in and out of the classroom.  Right now, by reading and posting a comment to my blog, you are engaging in cooperative learning.  I created meaning from what I had learned this week in class, constructed a blog entry, and will now have the opportunity for others to build upon what I have shared.  Practically every day, many of us use Facebook as a way to share information and connect to others.  A few Walden classes ago, we created a wiki with classmates by collaborating solely through the use of online tools.  I’m sure that in our own schools, we have also participated in professional development activities that involved making sense of new knowledge by interacting with our colleagues (Pitler et. al., 2007). 

There are so many ways in which cooperative learning strategies can also benefit students in the classroom.  Group work has been implemented by teachers for many years as a way to get students to learn and work together in order to achieve a goal.  Students become highly motivated and engaged when working with their peers.  Cooperative learning allows for students to “teach” one another, and by paring students with varying learning styles and abilities, we can ensure all students are involved and contributing to the good of the group.  Technology can play a unique and vital role in cooperative learning by facilitating group collaboration, providing structure for group work, and allowing group members to communicate both face-to-face and via technology (Pitler et. al., 2007).

Teachers can utilize a variety of social networking tools that students are familiar with and already using outside of the classroom.  Students can communicate via text or instant messaging, through Facebook, Twitter, or other social networking sites (I love Instagram for visual collaboration!).  WebQuests allow students to work together to use and evaluate information, while wikis allow them to create together and share artifacts – without ever being in the same room.  Other technologies such as Skype and FaceTime make it easier than ever to collaborate long distance.  This week, I was introduced to VoiceThread, which allow students to collaborate, learn, and share ideas with others from around the world (through text, pictures, and video).  Tools like these are prime examples of social constructivism - constructing knowledge based on culture and context (Orey, 2001), as well as connectivism - learning by forming and navigating networks of knowledge (Laureate Education Inc., 2011b).

In my own classroom, social learning is part of every lesson.  Because of the communication challenges my students face, I am always looking for ways in which I can get them to socialize and collaborate with their peers.  Social learning tools allow for my students to become engaged and excited to share with those around them.  Today I recorded of groups of students (using the video camera on my iPad) presenting the life cycle of a frog.  One member of the group was able to pull up and point to visuals on the SMART Board, while the other member read about (or used their communication device to present) each step of the cycle.  Afterwards, we watched the videos as a class.  They were so excited to see their themselves and I was able to provide instant encouragement and feedback (their peers did as well!).  I was then able to upload the videos to our class website to share with parents. 

Our world is changing at a rapid pace.  When our students get out into the work force, they will need cooperative learning skills in order to be successful.  Look at the way technology is rapidly changing the way we work, play, and communicate.  This makes it necessary for students to understand how to use tools (like those I have discussed) in order to continuously construct knowledge and understanding of the world around them (Laureate Education Inc., 2011a).  If we look at social learning as the primary way we learn (which I believe to be true – especially in relation to 21st century skills), teachers must be aware of the ways in which we can incorporate social learning tools into the classroom.


 I tried my hand at using VoiceThread this week!  It is an incredible tool that is extremely user-friendly (students of all ages and ability levels can use it!) and extremely relevant to the topic of social learning.  Here’s the link to my VoiceThread:
 I discuss the challenges we sometimes face when communicating with parents and getting them involved.  Feel free to comment or offer suggestions!

Here’s a great article that talks about how technology is changing 
the world around us (and mentions working collaboratively):  




References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011a). Program eight: Social learning theories [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1
 Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011b). Program nine: Connectivism as a learning theory [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1
 Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from 
Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.





3 comments:

  1. Rachel -- Again, what a great example you set with our lessons. I love hearing what you do in your special education classes. I can visualize your students collaborating to make this video, and then enjoying watching themselves, as well as receiving and giving feedback. This is true collaboration at work. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary!
      I always try to offer a different perspective on things since I work with such a diverse population of students. Many teachers never have the opportunity to see what goes on in a classroom like mine, so I want to paint an accurate picture of the amazing things my students are capable of!

      Sometimes I feel so set apart from what other teachers are doing, it can be discouraging. I have to work on the most basic of life skills with my students, yet still manage to keep up with grade level content standards. I feel like technology has helped me to bridge this gap by allowing me to present content to my students in ways that I never could have before. Technology engages and captivates them like nothing else can! I am so thankful for all that I have learned so far in my Walden courses - I have become a better teacher and my students are gaining so much from the technology strategies and tools I have been able to utilize.

      Delete
  2. Hi Rachel,

    I agree with Mary. I think what you do in the unique circumstances you face with your student population is really powerful. I like how you used the iPad and the interactive capabilities of the smartboard to get them involved and give them that boost in their confidence as they watched videos of themselves.

    You mentioned that you feel set apart from other teachers sometimes. Do you work mainly in a pull-out role, or do you sometimes team with the core teachers inside the classroom?

    Thanks for your thoughtful post!

    Chad

    ReplyDelete