Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's the purpose of this blog?...

Hello everyone,
Now that my blog is up and running (and I've messed with the background colors and fonts for the zillionth time), I have to sit back and look at the purpose this blog will serve.  Being a teacher for students with significant cognitive and physical disabilities (grades 6-8), I utilize technology for reasons that may be different than a teacher who works with a typical population of students.  I am forever programming communication devices, both simple and complex, and looking for ways in which my students can increase both functional and academic skills that will carry over into real-world settings.  Technology has made it possible for my students to access content, while communicating in ways that were never before possible.  Through the use of a SMART Board and iPad, I have been able to make learning in my classroom more engaging, more motivating, and more meaningful.

My goal for this blog is to share strategies with both special and regular education teachers that will allow them to increase and enhance the technology they use in their classrooms.  Now since I am by no means an expert, I also hope that others will share their techniques, as well as stories about how technology has made a difference in their classrooms.  I also hope to reach parents who are interested in using technology at home with their children with special needs.  In essence, I want my blog to be a "one-stop shop" for anyone who wants to improve the lives of those around them with the incredible technologies that are available today.

I used to be afraid of change.  I worried that technology was moving too fast, and that I would never be able to keep up.  I now want to step up to the challenge and face technology head on.  I hope that my followers will help in keeping this blog a place of positive change, inspiration, and encouragement.  I look forward to reading your comments!  Until next time... :)

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of being a one-stop shop. As a regular education teacher, I am aware technology has helped students with cognitive and/or physical disabilities but I am not sure of any specific ways. I look forward to learning about them here.

    Your classroom sounds like it has endless possibilities for your students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,

      How are you going to get the word out about your blog? Are you hoping to just focus on the parents of the students you currently work with, or would you like for this to become bigger than that (with technology now a days this blog could take on a life of its own!)? How much interaction do you have with the parents of your current students and are they coming to you for guidance in using technology at home already?

      -Danielle

      Delete
    2. Hi Danielle,
      Great questions! I currently have a classroom webpage, where I have added a link so that parents can check out my blog. I communicate with the parents of my 8 students on a daily basis, most through email. Since my students have significant needs (medical and physical), it is critical that I stay in contact with them often. They are often asking me for websites and apps that I use in the classroom, so that they can utilize them at home. On my webpage, I offer links to these resources, as well as other resources that I feel are beneficial for my students. I hope that soon I can transfer over the resources I have on my webpage to this blog. I also attend PTO meetings monthly and am able to talk to parents of students throughout our program (we have 7 classrooms for students with multiple disabilities throughout the county - from elementary to high school). I would like to share info about this blog with them, and am hoping that they will take the opportunity to check it out.

      Delete
  2. I know I will be visiting your blog. I always want to know how to better instruct my students with special needs. We do get support from their teachers but it never hurts to have many resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah! I will be checking out your blog for resources as well :)

      Delete
  3. I love the colors and overall look of your blog (first of all)!

    Next, I have to say, hats off to you! I was a special education teacher for two years before I was placed in an inclusion teacher as the general education half of the team. I miss being able to individualize instruction for my students! I look at my class of 25 students and think "They all need something different, but I just can't give them all what they need!" Anyway, I understand how challenging it is to find resources and technology to meet the needs of students with special needs. So, I just want to thank you for the difficult job that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, Bless you! This post brings tears to my eyes in a happy way. I know God is using you to do big things in the lives of the kiddos you teach. How blessed are they to have you for a teacher.

    I am now following your blog and think it was a blessing for me to stumble upon it!

    I would love for you to come over to my blog. Look under my teacher inspiration label and find the poem "In This Room". I can tell you already have that happening in your room and in your heart! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      Thank you the kind comment! I checked out your adorable blog and was inspired by all that you had to share. You seem like an incredible teacher who touches the lives of all around you. The poem "In This Room", was a beautiful reminder of what I want for all of my students. Your post came on a day that I truly needed it (it has been a particularly difficult and emotional few days at school), and the poem made me rediscover what teaching is all about. Regardless of the content, standards, and various academia of our school days, making a loving, supportive, and encouraging environment for our students is what really counts. And I feel like in my special needs classroom, this is especially true.

      Thank you for all you do... your"stumbling" upon my blog was a blessing for me as well!

      Delete
  5. Hi Rachel - your heart is in the right place and you have a great attitude about change. I liked reading what you had to say. I just found you and am your newest follower. You are definitely a blessing to your students, they are lucky to have you. :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete